Tonight is one of my favorite night in sports. The ESPY Awards will be on ESPN at 8:00. This year John Cena of the WWE will be the host. He is reason enough to watch. Right now as I watch Mike and Mike, there is a big bidding war taking place for autograph signed footballs, tickets to games, options to throw the game ball for the Cubs, and other great ways to raise money for the Jimmy V Cancer Research Foundation. Each year I watch to see the inspiring stories of sports heroics, as well the tremendous stories of survival and all too often loss. As I read of the agenda for this evening, it looks to be another great year of triumph and tragedy. Zaevian Dodson’s family will be accepting the Arthur Ashe Courage Award on his behave. Zaevian lost his life while shielding his friends during a shooting in Knoxville, TN. As a mother, this breaks my heart. Even though I will be chauffeuring Paige around during the beginning of the show, the minute I’m home, I will tune in. I encourage all of you to do the same and contribute to the foundation. We have all been affected by cancer in some way.
Today is one of my favorite dishes…my Whitney’s Southwest Pasta Salad With Chicken. Named after my friend Whitney who absolutely loves this dish.
1 1/2 chicken breast cut into small cubes
1 lbs. Spiral pasta
1/2 yellow pepper diced
1/2 orange pepper diced
1/2 onion diced
3/4 cup black beans (drained about 1/2 a can)
3/4 cup of canned corn
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
2 chipotle peppers
2 tsp. of adobo sauce
salt and pepper
1. In cast iron skillet, bring a drizzle of olive oil into skill set at medium temperature. Add chicken and coat with taco seasoning.
Cook chicken until browned. About 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet
2. Cook pasta according to directions on the package. Drain, cool, and put in to large mixing bowl.
4. Add chicken, peppers, onions, corn, and black beans to the pasta.
5. In food processor, mix mayonnaise, salad dressing, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. A dash of salt and pepper. Mix until completely blended
6. Pour mixture over pasta. With large mixing spoon, make sure all elements are completely combine.
7. This recipe is best if made a day or two in advance.
Remember…Who Do You Want In Your Kitchen On Game Day