After some major game day food, coming off the seven games of the NBA finals. It’s time to lighten it up a little bit. Plus considering yesterday was the first official day of summer; many are focusing on their beach bodies. I think we know that doesn’t include me. But here’s the deal, on a day like yesterday here in the northeast hot, humid, and then a thunderstorm. I wasn’t in the mood to go in the kitchen and make a big meal for the girls and myself. Recently, I asked my friends to suggests some new recipes I could give a shot. Keeping it real, sometimes my brain just shuts down. My friend Lynne AKA “Lynprah” (she’s a lot like Oprah) suggested I try a teriyaki lettuce cup. She shared a recipe with me, because I didn’t have all of the ingredients. I had to go with what I had in my refrigerator and pantry. These were yummy. Brooke had hers on a bed of rice instead of a lettuce cup. Switch it up. Have a good one.
2 chicken breast chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp. corn starch
1 head of iceberg lettuce
1. Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally until browned. About 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet.
2. Add onions, mushrooms, and carrots to the skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken back to skillet. Add teriyaki sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine.
4. Mix corn starch and 1 tbsp. of water until smooth. Add to chicken mixture; cook stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. About 1 minute. Add in water chest nuts and sprinkle with sesame sees.
5. Remove core from lettuce. Pull of larger lettuce leaves to make a cup.
6. Scoop chicken mixture into lettuce. Top with additional sesame seeds and scallions.
Remember…Who Do You Want In Your Kitchen On Game Day…..