Memorial Day weekend and I’m ready to start whipping up some great new Summer dishes. Salads to start…
First at bat……
Nuts and dried fruit, this is a very filling salad!!
– 1 bag of field greens
– 1 bag of romaine lettuce
– 1 cup of craisins (dried cranberries)
– 1 cup walnuts
– 1 cup blue cheese crumbed
– 1 thinly sliced red vidalia onion
– 1 diced cucumber ( make slices and then cut into quarters)
– a good balsamic vinaigrette..spend the money on the good stuff
1. Mix the bags of field greens and the romaine lettuce together in a large bowl.
2. With large wooden spoons, toss the lettuce with the craisins, walnuts, blue cheese, onions, and cucumbers.
3. Lightly and I mean lightly drizzle the salad with the balsamic vinaigrette and toss again. You don’t want the salad to be overwhelmed with the salad dressing.
4. I like to serve my salads with a nice crusty piece of garlic bread or garlic pita chips
Steak Salad with Onion Strings and Chipotle Ranch Dressing….
Grill Up Some Flank Steak….
-2 lbs sirloin steak cut into cubes
– olive oil
– 2 red vidalia onions
– 2 cups of milk
-2 cups of all purpose flour
– 2 cups of panko bread crumbs
– chopped Romaine lettuce
– vegetable oil for frying
– 1 cup store bought ranch dressing
– 1 chipotle pepper
-1 tsp adobo sauce
1. In small food processor, blend ranch dressing, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce. Refrigerate.
2. In a ziplock bag, toss steak in olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper.
3. Place in pre-heated skillet. You want a medium-high heat. Allow the pieces to brown for about 30-45 seconds and then turn all pieces to brown on the opposite side for another 30-45 seconds. I like my meat medium. Leave in a bit longer for medium-well to well. Repeat process. Allow meat to rest.
4. For onion strings, slice onions thinly with mandolin. In shallow dish, place strings and cover with milk. In ziplock bag, mix flour and panko bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Pre-heat vegetable oil to a 350 degrees or over a medium heat. Take strings out of milk and toss in the flour-panko mixture. Using tongs, place in the oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat process.
5. I use a large platter to assemble the salad. Put a bed of Romaine lettuce, top with cucumber, tomatoes, and steak. Garnish with onion strings. Make sure you have a ton of onion strings…..they are a crowd pleaser. Serve with Chipotle- Ranch dressing…..
Italian Dinner Salad with Red Roasted Pepper Balsamic Vinaigrette Served on Cheesy Bread
For this salad you would use……
-black bean corn salsa
– grilled chicken
-fried corn tortillas
– iceberg lettuce
-shredded tex-mex cheese
– Chipolet Ranch Dressing (simply use a cup of store bought ranch dressing and puree two chipolet chilies with two tsp of adobo sauce in food processor….
Remember…Who Do You Want In Your Kitchen On Game Day!!!